Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Are there any good movies today?

Has anyone seen any good movies lately? I have not. I love Redbox but lately it's not even worth the $1.50. I think that the last good one was Captain Phelps but I don't know if I have ever seen Tom Hanks in a bad movie.

I remember years ago when I was living on the Upper East side, I came home from Montauk late at night. I rounded the corner to my block and it was all blocked off with fire trucks and police and I could see smoke coming from a building near my apartment. I think I was 23, so this way before being smart enough to purchase renters insurance, so I had a bit of a melt down that I had lost everything in a fire. Then, as I walked closer, I could see this spot light shining down on the street and I was wondering why all these normal clothed people were hanging around with walkie-talkies...well, it then clicked that they were filming on my street for the movie 15 Minutes and all of this was just a movie set. I told myself I better pay more attention next time to all the fliers and signs on the street so I don't have a heart attack from a non-existent fire. And yes, that was another movie that was a big fail.

I truly believe reality TV has ruined the movie industry as well - everyone gets excited for movies like Sharknado 2 - really?? Ugh - I guess I am way too old for this generation. My top five movies of all time are: The Graduate (hello, Mrs. Robinson!), Seven (I love that it is Gwyneth's head), Predator (long story), The Strangers (my husband haunts me with this movie every Halloween), and Love Actually (yes, corny but LOVE it).

Let me know if you've seen anything good lately - I am in dire need of a good movie.

3 comments:

  1. A cry for help! Don't know if our tastes will coincide but I loved 3 of your 5 choices. I think there's a lot going right in cinema today, you just have to know where to look.

    First tip: ask a child! Children's cinema is alive and kicking even in the mainstream. Frozen is a return to form for Disney after years of mediocre filmmaking. I would also recommend The Pirates! if you didn't see it the first time, and the LEGO movie is surprisingly intelligent and far better than it has any right to be.

    Second tip: head away from Hollywood for some indie sci-fi. My favourite film of the last few years was Moon. I'd also recommend Robot and Frank, a drama about a retired cat burglar whose family buy him a robot carer; Monsters (romance - two journalists travel across alien-infested Mexico); Trollhunter (comic horror - mockumentary about a secretive Norwegian government worker).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharknado's an acquired taste. Personally I think it's not a patch on Sharktopus ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves the sci-fi channel and we've been watching quite a bit of those silly movies lately. I think I am too tired from a one year old not sleeping that I don't argue about it.
    And I may get booted for this but I disliked Frozen so much - I was like this is what all the little girls are screaming about? I think Lion King will remain my top Disney movie. I did like the Lego movie - but I like crass types of movies.

    ReplyDelete