Thursday, July 24, 2014

Missing my family

This week is my family reunion in Montauk, NY. I had purchased the airline tickets for myself, my husband and my one year old son back in February. I also rented a house with my parents and brother and his family which is not cheap in the summer. I have not seen my extended family since 2009 (my first marriage) and was very excited to see everyone.

I live in Seattle and it is only me that lives here regarding family so it can be very lonely especially with a new baby. I am from the East Coast and life on the west is so different and sometimes I struggle - I am not always PC or aware that I am upsetting someone's feelings - I guess its all those years living in NYC where you had to be tough to survive. So I don't have the closest friends here and I think people do need to know you when you were in your 20s to really know you and I wasn't living here. Well, I had no clue my husband would be dead set against our son getting on a plane at a year old. I fought and cried about it and let's just say I lost or gave up fighting. It breaks my heart but I don't think my husband will ever understand what my family means to me. They took care of me when I lived in NYC - they were my safe haven when things were too overwhelming in the city - he doesn't have that closeness to his family. I love my aunts, my uncles, all of my cousins, my grandmother and then all of their friends. I think one of the biggest reasons I wanted to go is that I wanted him to see what he's been keeping me and our son from. I will always be East Coast but I married a West Coaster who doesn't like to fly!

So this week I am living through FB posts and hoping my family will Photoshop me and my son in all the pictures. Maybe next year we will take the time and DRIVE cross-country. It was very hard for me to not take my son and run but I realized I would eventually have to come home...not worth that!

No comments:

Post a Comment