Friday, August 1, 2014

When did things start to get so expensive?

Why are jeans so expensive? I typically spend on the average $125 per pair which is absolutely absurd. Yes, I still buy them and have probably 30 pairs - but when did jeans become the "IT" thing to buy? When I was growing up it was either Lees or Levis - oh and Vidal Sasson if you were really cool. I think my mom would spend maybe $20 on a pair in the 80s. Then Calvin Klein came along and Gap and the cost went up to $45...but then when I was about 26 they all skyrocketed to be over $100.

I would start wearing my "fancy" jeans to work and if someone made a comment, I would say - um, these cost more than your entire outfit so shush it. But I felt I had to wear them because I did spend so much money on them.

And then next came the yoga pants. Lululemon, yes I love thee, but really $135 for a pair of pants that I supposed to work out in? They do last a long time but I do feel guilty every time I buy a pair because I know how much I really work out...

And when did white t-shirts start costing $35 - I use to buy them for $5! I think that's why I still love Old Navy because if you hit one of those sales - man you can get a bathing suit, flip flops and a fleece for $25. Yes, it will fall apart in a few months but for summer gear that you just go through, that's fine by me.

I think all those years of living in NYC caught up to me - all that money I wasted buying expensive things and not having anything to show for it has turned me into a whiny lady. When I moved to Seattle I was so excited for Target because I couldn't believe I didn't have to pay $8 for a four roll thing of toilet paper. Then I discovered TJ Maxx - wow, I love that store.

Sorry I am ranting about clothing today, I had to buy my 1 year old a pair of sneakers today and went into shock when I had to pay $35 for something he'll probably wear for a month. I don't even know if I pay $35 for a pair of my own shoes (TJ Maxx!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment