Wednesday, July 9, 2014

From the beginning

So the truth - no, I was never a real rock star but if you asked me in 2002, my ego would have said YES.  I moved to NYC when I was 23, or to age myself, in 1997. My friend Allison had gotten a job in NYC and she needed a roommate - I, was in, but my dad - not so much since my parents had to be our guarantor. He said no, I cried and 24 hours later, I got a yes. If only husbands worked liked dads (we will get to that reference later).

And so the journey to becoming a "rock star" began. I think my young, poor as poor days were the best years living in the city. Allison and I moved into an apartment on the upper east side with an air mattress (my bed), a futon (her bed) and another roommate who thankfully had a couch and a tv. Allison would mock me all the time about my bed - "you know if there is a flood, you'll be safe and can just float away" - I guess she was so fancy with her used futon!! We did also bring in a green chair from off the street to really step up our apartment. I still can't believe Al and I carried it up five flights of stairs (oh yes, did I mention five story walk-up) and that was one of our prized pieces of furniture.

I was a very sheltered child, my parents did about everything for me so I never really had to grow a backbone and just do it myself. When I moved to NY, it was a tough first couple of months. I needed to get a job and I had to take the subway. After my interview I took the subway to uptown and all of a sudden it became an express - I ended up in Harlem. I didn't know that I could walk across the platform and take it back downtown so instead I started walking home - one of the scariest walks home ever. I would get lost all the time and I would go to a pay phone and call Allison (before cell phones) - I remember one time I was so lost in West Village and she said "figure it out" and hung up on me. I spent so much money on cabs that first year, see how well I figured it out. But I did grow up and that city made me strong and I will always be thankful for it.

We had a deli on the corner from our apartment that made the best chicken sandwiches - not sure if I went back today I would still think that since we always ate them at 4 am. We had some great stories that came from that deli and the Bear Bar that was next door. Back in those days NY still had ladies night and Allison and I would map out ladies nights throughout the city - hey, free food and booze. The young and poor days were fun and very far from the life I would lead there is just a few short years. I will continue the story soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment